My guest is Douglas Bakkum. He is the Co-Founder and CEO of the Swiss hardware wallet manufacturer Shift Crypto. Douglas holds a Phd in neuroscience and shifted his career from starting a scientific research lab in academia to building a hardware wallet manufacturer at a time, when no hardware wallets existed on the market. Douglas saw a problem and the need for a solution and started the company together with bitcoin core maintainer Jonas Schnelli in 2015.
Shift Crypto is one of my sponsors, and after this conversation I have to say I am even more impressed with their work. The BitBox02 has some additional features that set it apart from the other hardware wallets in the market. Like the dual-chip approach. I did not know how that works before and as I want to have a general understanding of the concepts, his explanations strengthened my trust in this new technology even more.
- Robotics and artificial intelligence
- Parallels between academia and the start-up world
- Neuroscience, the brain and artificial intelligence
- Stress and routines to stay stable
- Launching SHIFT Crypto
- Trusting new technologies Bitcoin self-reliance, privacy and freedom
- How SHIFT handles user-data
- Gaining privacy with your hardware wallet
- Apple as tollgate
- What is more secure: using a hardware wallet on the desktop or on a mobile?
- How are hardware wallets more secure than software wallets?
- Paper wallets
- What is the dual-chip approach of the BitBox02 and how does it compare with Trezor and Ledger?
- What he would put on a giant ad on social media
Ask a question
Support the podcast
ShownotesRecording Date: September 8, 2020